Deglazing with Sriracha

Oh man…. I can’t begin to explain how excited I get when a random kitchen experiment turns out this well.  I feel like a rocket scientist whenever it happens.  Well technically speaking, I am a scientist.  But my days of rocking a lab coat and goggles are behind me.  I still have them though =)  You never know when they’re gonna come in handy!

Last month Paul taught me how to deglaze a pan of seafood like a rockstar, so the second jumbo sea scallops went on sale I pounced!  I had originally intended on recreating the delish Sapporo Scallop + Kani Salad recipe we had come up with a few weeks prior, but my laziness resulted in an entirely new recipe altogether.
Um yes you totally heard that right.  Sometimes it’s good to be lazy!

sriracha seared sea scallops pan sauce reduction

Seared Sea Scallops w/ Spicy Sriracha Reduction
(too much alliteration!)

Sriracha Scallops
[for one]
What’s in it?
4 large sea scallops, fresh from the market
1-2 Tbsp oil, for searing [I've been on a grape seed oil kick lately]
dried cayenne pepper, parsley, salt and pepper, to taste
a splash of tasty white wine
sriracha sriracha sriracha
Get Searing!
Pat scallops dry, season with a teeny bit of salt, pepper, and cayenne and set aside.  Heat a stainless steel pan with a few tablespoons of oil and allow it to get HOT before adding your scallops.  If you’re cooking more than just a few at a time, grab a larger pan and more oil, so you can space them out and give them room to sizzle!  Once your pan is hot and ready, add the scallops and sear for about 2-3 minutes on each side until golden and opaque in the middle. Overcooking will be your worst enemy here so keep an eye on them — the second side will most likely cook a teeny bit faster than the first so check it after a minute.  If your scallops are huge like mine were you might have to tack on an extra minute on each side.
There should be a spoonful of oil left in your pan, if not, then add 1/2 teaspoon or so.  Next deglaze the pan with a splash of white wine [I had a yummy Talmage Cellars chardonnay on hand] and a generous dollop of sriracha and whisk the orange bubbly amazingness until all the little golden bits of scallop have released from your pan.  Remove from heat, pour over scallops, and sprinkle with a little dried parsley for a pop of green.
So… How was it?
My favorite pan sauce ever!  I’m not usually a fan of them b/c they involve butter or cream and wind up tasting far too rich for my delicate seafood… this was definitely not the case. The sauce was light with a feisty kick, and let the flavor of the scallops shine through.  That’s all I could ever ask for in a sauce — it needs to play nice with my food or get the heck off the plate.  This was delicious and I can’t wait for the next scallop sale so I can make it again!

Comments

1. parttimehousewife.com says

Thanks for sharing! I was planning scallops for tomorrow, was thinking some sort of white wine sauce! This looks amazing!!!! great pics!

2. Ann McElfresh says

Looks delish!  I love deglazed pan sauces – easy and elegant, not to mention delicious!  Stunning photo!  I’ve been out of town, so I’ve not commented in a while…..I hope you are well!

3. Ann McElfresh says

Oh, it was FANTASTIC!  I was in London visiting my daughter and we took a girls trip to Paris!  Tons-o-fun!

4. Ann McElfresh says

I will….starting the day after Valentines!  …in the meantime, I’m jet lagged like mad and going through 1200 photos!

Looks yum! I think I’m going to make a soup with scallops next weekend. A little nervous bc I’ve never made anything like that before. Anyway-We normally eat most seafood like this spicy. Matt is in the “sriracha belongs on everything” club.

Oh. My. This looks like a dish sent from heaven!! Scallops are near and dear to my heart, and I’ve been having a major fling…MAJOR fling with sriracha lately. Never would I ever have thought to combine the two though…You’re brilliant, Jenn! This is so happening this week.

Can’t believe I get to meet you this spring…Eee! <3

7. Maya Ebrahim says

I’ve never thought of using Sriracha as a pan sauce before. Great idea, it must have tasted great with the scallops.

I have yet to find this magic sriracha…I will prevail and one day make something as delicious looking as this.
    I think putting on the lab coat and goggles would have numerous uses outside of the lab…maybe pair them with a pair of feathered earrings :)

9. Lacy @ NYCityEats says

Oh wow sounds amazing & spicy! Love sriracha! I never thought of using it in a wine reduction but I definitely will now. YUM!

10. Betty Stewart says

oooh. i’m gonna have to make these soon, too! they look amazing! i wish my market would put scallops on sale!

Yum!  Your salad had me drooling and now this does too. When I get past my post-food-poisoning “eww, seafood” feeling I will SO be trying this!!  I’ve been using grapeseed oil lately too. Love its high heat tolerance.

12. Beckysbakingandcooking says

Beautiful scallops, and I love the sauce. I’m jealous!   We tried scallops wrapped in bacon, but couldn’t get them to sear, even though we tried to dry them.

Congrats on the Top 9 today!

13. Herlatenightcravings says

Oh wow, this looks AMAZING!!! I’ve added it to my list because I have got to try this! Scallops and Sriracha…in love!!!
    Thanks for visiting our blog and following! We are absolutely following you back. So glad you found us!

Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings

14. EA-The Spicy RD says

I am absolutely pinning this to make! I made a Thai soup last night with scallops, and had forgotten how much I enjoy them. My 8 yo even liked them too, which was a bonus :-) Love this easy recipe, and with spicy Siracha how could they not just be absolutely delicious!

15. Susan Wong says

Congratulations on making the top 9!  I am so glad that I found your blog.  Fast and flavorful, Scallops, Sriracha and Wine… what more could you ask for?

My fiance and I actually have scallops on the menu tnoight and were trying to decide how to cook them. I think you answered our question for us. Thank you!

This looks amazing!  You are quite the cook slash kitchen scientist!  Someday we will get together and you will teach me how to cook. ;-)  I mean, the instructions are all here…but who knows what will turn up when I follow them!  I’m much more of a baker…

Thanks for sharing!  Pinned it!

thank you thank you!!! I heard it gets tricky when bacon is involved. I always liked my bacon CRISPY so i’d suggest partially frying up the bacon first, then wrapping the scallop and securing with a toothpick and then making sure the pan is SUPER HOT before even laying the scallop down! the drying is important but the heat is key I think. at least with my trial and errors it was (and believe me… there was a lot of error! haha)

We just got fresh scallops in at our local whole foods and I’ve been obsessed with cooking them.  I’m definitely going to try this recipe.  Love the spice!  Also, I am excited to get some photos together for WIAW…veggie love

20. Enjoyerofgrace says

Just made this tonight! I’ve been craving ng thus since you’ve posted and I totally lived it! Thanks so much for sharing this! Will be sharing it on my blog this week!!

Ohmygosh how did I get so behind on emails!? Terribly sorry about the delay! Thanks so so much for your sweet comment and for testing out the recipe!!! I’m beyond thrilled that you like it!

Off to check out your blog and post! =) Thanks Weiya!!!!

xoxo
    Jenn

Trackbacks

1. […] need a little extra butter and can de-glaze the pan to make a delicious sauce for the shrimp.  [click here for a recipe for my favorite pan sauce] Once the butter starts to melt, add the shrimp [tail-on!] and seasoning.  Flip the pan a few […]