Red Velvet Cake Cookies

red velvet cake cookies with white chocolate from cake mix
Holy cookies, Batman!

One of my Florida State besties [Hi Amanda!] sent me a little Christmas cookie lovin’ this year and introduced me to the wonderful world of red velvet cookies.  Ho.  Ly.  Cow.  Her recipe seemed entirely too easy to be true, so I grabbed a box of cake mix and dragged my baking-challenged butt into the kitchen to whip up a batch.

and then I did recipe double-take.
It called for 2 sticks of butter and 2 cups of chocolate…  ahhh! I couldn’t do it!
Instead, I whipped out my jar of applesauce and hoped for the best.Dear applesauce,
I love you so.
Red Velvet Cake Cookies
half cake, half cookie!

1 box of red velvet cake mix
1 cup of all purpose flour [use only 1/2 cup if you want them a little sweeter!]
1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce
1.5-2 cups of white chocolate chips
1.5 sticks of butter, softened
1 large egg

alternate butter to applesauce ratio:  1 sick of butter and 1 cup of applesauce for fluffier, cake-like cookies.

Feeling fancy?  Try them with [this] yummy icing/glaze or sandwich the cookies with a little frosting for a red and white cookie sandwich.

Get Baking!

Leave butter out to soften and preheat oven to 350F.  Once softened, beat with a hand-mixer until fluffy.  Next, slowly add flour and cake mix until incorporated.  Next add your egg and mix completely.  Fold in white chocolate and roll dough into 1 inch balls.  Place on a bare cookie sheet and bake for approx 10 minutes.  Allow to cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a cooling rack.  Yields about 24-32 small cookies.
Fluffing these up with applesauce has the potential to make cakey, whoope pie-like cookies that would taste awesome with some light frosting/cream/froyo in the middle!  Though I draw the line at baking cookies.  Don’t make me frost too!
red velvet cake cookies with white chocolate and applesauce
So… How was it?
True story: I didn’t expect these to be edible.  So when every time I turned around P had a cookie in his mouth, hand, and/or pocket… I took it as a sign that I indeed actually baked a cookie.  Though it was a total cheat-cookie.  My goal is to eventually be baking savvy enough to make natural, from-scratch breads, cookies, and such for gifting and parties and so forth.  Though I don’t mind being the veggie girl at parties and pot-lucks =)  If there’s one thing everyone needs more of – It’s veggies! =)

Though Paul insists that he needs more cookies.

and these

Comments

Thank you for making my decision of what to get Brad for V-day easy! A box of homemade cookings…there’s nothing like it :-)

I love that you couldn’t possibly put that much butter into the cookies. I am the SAME way! I will definitely be making the cake-ier cookies!

I love that you were able to alter the recipe and the outcome was so delicious! They turned out absolutely gorgeous. Perfect for Valentines Day. (:

Way to go with the applesauce!  I actually like a cake-ier cookie, so I use the stuff liberally.  Looking at these, I have no doubt people would be knocking down the door for a potluck cookie from you.  Buzzed fo’ sho’. :)

Oh, Jenn.  I’m so proud of you.  You’ve been posting more and more foods that are right up my alley recently.  At first, I thought you were going to say you subbed the butter for something like crushed soybeans or quinoa or something. ;)  But I can get behind applesauce as a substitute! :P

5. Honeybunchesoflove says

these look awesome, I’ve never baked anything red velvet but I love the deep red colour it gives, so I may have to get baking. :)

6. Happy Healthy Mama says

Ha ha Paul sounds like Tim. :-). I’m with you–totally okay being the veggie girl. These look fabulous, though.

I can’t bake cookies too often because I WILL eat the entire batch in a day.  I keep seeing red velvet all over the place, but I’ve never tasted it.  Enjoy your cookies!

These are so pretty! Whenever Joe and I want a treat….he says, what do you want? And I say, red velvet.
    Even if I don’t get it, I still say it…really. I want the cookies for my treat tonight. Thank you.

I just made red velvet cookies last week for the Golden Globes! My recipe was slightly different–the mess was RIDICULOUS though! Red is so hard to clean off all your bowls, spoons, etc.  I think I’m going to try your modifications next time :)

10. jess_gonzalez22 says

Kudos to you for trying to make it healthier! They look like they turned out fabulous; I didn’t even know red velvet cookies were possible! :D

Haha, when I see recipes like that I seriously can’t do it either! I cringe at the thought of more than 1 stick of butter or 1 cup of sugar in anything! It’s a guarantee I’m switching and swapping things up and out if that happens!
    I’ll be honest, I don’t really get the whole red velvet craze (it doesn’t taste like anything special to me) but you make these look pretty damn good! ;)

12. Danielle says

Well, I feel better that someone sent you guys cookies for Christmas this year….I was feeling like a slacker not making any cookies tins for people this year, but I was sooooo busy! And I’m super proud of you for attempting baking again… :)

13. Mikalah says

Those look amazing! I too was introduced to red velvet cookies through a cookie gift basket over Christmas this year… SOOO yummy. I definitely will try making these!

I love cake cookies, but red velvet doesn’t do it for me – maybe I expect too much flavor out of something red, haha. Love the white chocolate chips, thougH!

Yayyyy! I’m so glad!!!! Anytime you need something new just shout out a few ingredients to me and i’ll whip a recipe up just for you! =)

I read your comment out loud to P and he laughed at the thought of my crazy substitutions. Then he thought a little bit harder and realized I’m not done experimenting =) bahaha!

16. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. says

As someone who is obsessed with red velvet anything! I would probably eat like…all of these cookies!

17. Missymaki says

In my neck o’ tha woods….we call them “Cake-ies”  They are the most versatile, easiest cookie to make!  Keep your eyes peeled for box mix sales!!!

18. Jane says

Jenn, these cookies look awesome!  I love red velvet!  Thanks for sharing this recipe on Melt in Your Mouth Monday!  :)

19. Lacy says

Oh man these look good!! I like replacing some of the butter, it’s hard to imagine putting all of it into your system. Seriously sounds fantastic!

20. Sarah says

Ok, I wasn’t sure about these cookies because none of the other cake mix cookies I have ever made called for extra flour. But I followed the recipe anyways and they are good and do look beautiful. The actual cookie part is not very sweet at all and has a bit too much of a flour taste, but I added so many chocolate chips that it didn’t matter. I think next time I may cut back the flour to half a cup.

haha I should probably have written in the post that they were actually sweet by my definition which… is totally biased based on the fact that I have a sweet thing maybe once a month (the teeniest bit of sweetness is like sugar overload for my werido taste buds!) Glad the chocolate chips gave you that delish sugar rush =)

22. Linda Leyble says

Hi there!  Wow those look really scrumptious!  I love red velvet anything (even the real fabric).  I have to watch my sweet and salt intake, so if I make this for Valentine’s, I have to try to only eat one.  A very difficult task!

I am visiting your site from Between Naps on the Porch…you were the entry right before mine!Come and visit mine too if you get a chance!

Linda

23. Anonymous says

I just made these tonight and they are yummy if you love “muffin tops” (which we do!). I used the one cup of applesauce/one stick of butter combination and two eggs. I worked the wet ingredients together to make a typical cookie wet mixture and then added the dry ingredients (cake mix, 1/2 cup of flour, 1/4 cup of cocoa powder and 1 teaspoon baking powder). It was about the thickness of brownie batter, so I refrigerated. I sprayed my cookie sheets with Baker’s Joy (the spray with flour in it) because my first batch of cookies stuck. Cooked them approximately ten minutes at 375 degrees. What you get with this combination is essentially a “muffin top” that is like a little cake that’s soft and tender and fluffy. Not at all chewy, so don’t follow my lead if you don’t look forward to a Red Velvet Muffin Top. I’m going to drizzle melted white chocolate on mine, and add a few sprinkles of colored sugar. Super yummy but more cake like than cookie like. That said, they’re delicious.
    NOTE: Bake only one sheet at a time. Since this is like cake, if you open the door to move a second sheet in, the temp will drop and so will your “cookies”. Be patient … it’s worth the wait.

• says

Thanks for the tip darling! So you added cocoa powder and baking powder in addition to the recipe? Totally what must have made them extra cake-y and a little more apt to stick – which is fabulous to know since I have a few friends who make whoopie pies of this and would love them extra muffin-top-y [let's pretend that's a word! hehe] So glad you loved ‘em! xoxo