Baked Butternut Squash Fries

baked seasoned butternut squash steak cheese fries
Baked Butternut Squash Steak Fries
[serves 1-2] or in my case, one hungry hungry hippo!
ingredients:
1 large butternut squash
1/2 teaspoon oil
seasoning blend:
salt, pepper, garlic powder + cayenne pepper
use a little, or a lot!
Feeling feisty? Make them in to Cheese Fries!
Sprinkle with grated cheese and diced pickled jalapenos and return to oven to melt.  then top with shredded lettuce, chopped green onions, and all your favorite toppings.  Plain greek yogurt makes a fantastic sub for sour cream, and salsa?  Pile it on!

zesty butternut squash cheese fries with jalapeno tutorial

Get Baking!
Preheat oven to 450F.  Cut the round, bulbous part of the squash off first, reserve for later.  Peel the long handle-like part of the butternut squash using a veggie peeler.  I actually don’t own a functional vegetable peeler so I use a cheese slicer.  Don’t laugh!  It works on more than just cheese =) I’ve been using it to peel cucumbers, squash, and potatoes for years and years.  Cut squash into 4-inch strips about half an inch thick.  Coat fries with approx 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper.

Arrange evenly spaced on a wire cooling rack and set atop a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.  This is my favorite faux-frying technique!  Crispy outside, fluffy inside… It never fails me =)

Pop em in the oven at 450F, set your timer to 30 minutes, and walk away.
The oven will take care of the rest!
Serve them dunked in ketchup-y goodness

baked faux fried seasoned butternut squash fries

or serve them up as hot, melty cheese fries.
but you have to add more veggies if you do.  it’s a rule =)
baked butternut squash cheese fries jalapeno green onion

either way, you’re in for a treat =)

Oh… and the seasoning blend on these babies? glor. i. ous.
so skip the plain white spuds and try squash instead!

Still Hungry?
Panera Copycat Broccoli Cheese SoupTriple Bean Veggie BurgerSweet Potato Irish Nachos

Comments

1. Thehappyhealthymama says

You’re making me want to bake up a butternut squash right now! It’s almost 10pm…that’s not weird, right?

2. Lauren says

The recipe sounds great, I want photographic evidence of squash peeling with cheese knife, I think I’d peel my hand off.

I bought a squash today at the organic market after I read this last night. We love homemade “fries” and I don’t think my 3 year old has had a real fried “fry” more than a couple times. To her, we slice fries up and bake them!

4. the cape on the corner says

um, ok…i’ve not heard of this, but i would be willing to give them a try.  you make them look good!

Yummy!  These look awesome.  We always do sweet potato fries, but I’m getting sick of them!  I love the idea of using butternut squash!

These look so freaking good. But how firm are they? In the pictures they look sturdy, but I know that whenever I make bnut squash it gets really soft. And since I am all about dips and toppings, I need a really strong fry.

I tweeted ya in case you don’t see this — They are firm on the outside and soft inside!  Not deep fried firm but not soft and soggy — they hold their shape like champs!  I’ve heard of techniques where you can add a  little corn starch to the outside for extra crunch and tried it buuut…. the corn starch is powdery and tastes like fried chicken to me! lol. man i’m weird ;)

Oh.  I know I say this all the time…but those look SO good.  Especially the ones with cheese.  And after reading your comment to Kara about how they stay crispy…I’m seriously sold.

9. Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli says

Oh yes, this is totally happening…and of course I plan to pile on the cheese! Yum! God girl, your photos look awesome! I swear I could lick that shot of the fry dipped in ketchup!

• says

A little bit of oil/butter will help them crisp up on the outside and edges and also help the antioxidants in the squash absorb in our bodies [fat acts as a delivery system!] but you could certainly try it without! They will be a bit softer, as if you dry-roasted them =)

10. Anonymous says

OMG. These were AMAZING! I ended up using the 1/2 tsp of oil. My boyfriend and I devoured an entire butternut squash, and he hates squash! I will most definitely be making these again. I just wish butternut squash was easier to prep! Thanks for the awesome idea!

Perfection! Just hopped over here from your WIAW post and love this recipe. I agree, if the squash was easier to peel, this would be, well, easier! Either way, I’m sure it’s worth it and I’ll be having this very soon. Thanks for sharing!

12. GloriaHornby says

My husband recently had a mild heart attack. He has a 40% blockage in another artery. The doctors told us we may be able to get rid of that blockage if we went to a plant based diet. We are really working hard to achieve that diet. Your recipes are really inspiring me. Thank you. I know when you call for cheese I can use soy cheese and no eggs. I also have to watch the salt. He can have a little more than a teaspoon a day.

Hey Gloria! Happy to help! Absolutely skip the cheese and eggs — most of my recipes are fantastic with flax eggs in place of actual eggs or no eggs at all and cheese is easily left off the top of any of the recipes! Avocado, salsa, and hot sauce all make fabulous toppings in place of the cheese as well as the soy cheese you mentioned! I hope to have more healthy recipes to send your way in 2014! xo

Trackbacks

1. […] vegansaurus chefs: skip the cheese or add some daiya instead. This dish is easily veganized and oh-so flavorful either way. You can also make it with butternut squash! [recipe] […]