Let Them Eat… Pumpkin!

pumpkin chocolate devils food cake

This sneaky swap is all over the internet, and for good reason too!  Swapping the eggs, water, and oil in a cake recipe with pumpkin is science & nature at it’s best =)  And it yields impressively delicious results!  Have you tried it for yourself yet?

In this particular version, I decided to toss one egg back into the mix for a little extra fluff factor and also because I was missing a few tablespoons from my can of pumpkin. [Where did they go? This recipe!]  Here’s how it all went down!

What’s in it?
1 box of Devils Food Cake mix
1 can of pumpkin [minus the missing spoonfuls I mentioned earlier]
1 cup of Hershey’s Special Dark chocolate chips
1 large organic egg [or1-2 flax eggs!]
Get Baking!
Preheat your oven to 350F.  Mix together cake mix, pumpkin, and the egg until incorporated.  Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts.  Pour into two lightly greased 8×8 baking dishes.  Bake for approx 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.  Try not to stick your toothpick into a chocolate chip or it’ll trick ya =) Vegansaurus chefs – skip the egg silly! <3
So… How was it?
Fluffy + chocolatey!  I’ll make this once or twice a year for a special treat and enjoy each slice [or muffin] warmed for 20 seconds in the microwave.  This way the chocolate chips melt and it is EXTRA decadent.  If you haven’t already tried this trick, by all means, go get your pumpkin on =)
Now let’s get back to our regularly scheduled What I Ate Wednesday!

What is your favorite baking swap of all time?
And, more importantly, can you teach me how to BAKE bake.  For real? =)  I’m challenged!

Comments

Thanks for this tip. I’d heard about swapping oil for apple sauce but not pumpkin. I’m totally going to try it. Does it turn out pretty much as it would have if you’d used oil? Just wondering because I want to try it on the whooppie pies I need to make.

Jessica @ Runningtobeskinny.com

2. Elizabeth Brunetti says

That’s a great idea!  I’ve heard of swapping applesauce or Greek yogurt for the oil, but never pumpkin.  But given all of the great pumpkin recipes I’ve seen lately, it doesn’t surprise me!

3. Jes Harmon says

I haven’t tried this, but I definitely will soon!  I usually swap the oil in a recipe for apple sauce, but that’s about as far as I’ve gone w/ swaps.  Fun idea!

4. Tina@flourtrader says

I do like this swap-especially if it plays a part in creating this delicious cake.  The suggestion of warming a slice does make it drool worthy.  Great post.

Thank you for posting this today!!!! i need to make something for my moms club meeting tomorrow and i know the ladies will love this!!!

I love using pumpkin in my baking, and this cake looks so much more like what I crave from when I grew up – we have denser, moister cakes that are less fluffy than yours (with MUCH less icing) in germany. Melted chocolate chips make me swoon :)

Yes! I did that earlier with a scone recipe that required applesauce and I just subbed the pumpkin instead and threw in some chocolate chips – voila, moist and yum (low-fat) pumpkin chocolate chip scones, they were the best! But I love how sneaky the pumpkin is in this recipe of yours – you can’t even tell it’s in there! Love it!

I LOOOOOVE baking. Like alot ;)
    Some of my favorite subs are applesauce or yogurt for the oil, flax for the eggs and chocolate chips for the nuts. Oh wait, that ones isnt a subsition, more of a preferance ;)

9. She Rocks Fitness says

Oh goodness that looks completely amazing and so light and fluffy! LOVE! Learning to be a good baker would end up me having no self-control. I prefer to go to the bakery to treat myself. HA! Hope you had a wonderful Thursday! :)

Yum!!  Looks awesome!  I’m definitely learning to be a better baker, but I’m certainly not 100% there yet. ;)  The more research I do, the more I think I need to invest in a food scale.  You need to be SO precise when it comes to baking, and I think you can be more precise when you use a food scale.  We actually got one when we got married, but we returned it to the store.  Oops!

11. Kayla Mai says

I’ve made Pumpkin muffins the same way, only using yellow cake mix.  They are really yummy and moist.  I’ll have to give this a try, I like chocolate cake!!

12. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. says

I keep hearing about this and I have yet to try it! I think I will try it soon as I have a lot of pumpkin leftover!