Baked Falafel

The days of Paul thinking falafel is fahl-awful are over =)
[This falalfel recipe] has been a happy part of our recipe rotation for months now.
The only thing holding me back from having a weekly falafel-a-thon was that my original recipe was fried to a golden brown.  I have been dying to try a baked version and with mounds of parsley popping up in my garden… it was obviously time to test out some new falafel recipes!
What’s in it?
tomatoes
YUMMUS
bell peppers
broccoli slaw
mint +/or parsley
P&C’s Tzatziki Sauce
(makes one heaping cup of sauce)
3/4 cup of plain yogurt, greek or regular
1/2 large cucumber seeded, peeled, and diced/minced
1/4 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic, minced + smushed
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
a small sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper
dried minced onions, dried dill, and garlic powder, to taste
Tzatziki Sauce
This sauce is AMAZING! It also makes a baller topping for baked potatoes
Especially on [ Samosa Stuffed Potatoes ]
In. Sane.
If you don’t have yogurt for the tzatziki sauce, or if you’re a little scared to try it (hey it happens!) you can certainly subsitute a light ranch dressing.  But if you can, try the tzatziki!  If you’re dairy free, try whipping up a fun hummus sauce to drizzle over the falafel.  You kids are creative, I know you’ve got a ton of tricks up your sleeves for such occasions =)

Baked Falafel Platter with Tzatziki Sauce
Get Cooking!
Preheat oven to 400F. Whip out your handy dandy food processor + toss in chickpeas, flour, parsley, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt + pepper.  Pulse until blended + flatten into balls/discs with hands.  Brush each patty with olive oil and bake on a greased baking pan for 20 minutes.  This recipe takes maybe 25 minutes max.  So Easy!
So… How was it?
WAY easier (and healthier!) than the fried version! Though utterly flavorful and crispy, they lacked the super moist center of my fried falafel recipe, so they were a tad dry to eat on a bed of greens like I had originally intended.  Enter a warm fluffy wrap (or pita!) and a generous dollop of greek yogurt cucumber sauce and I didn’t miss my fried patties anymore!  What a wrap!  I’ll probably continue to tweak and toy with this baked recipe (adding onions + lemon juice to the patty sounds like a good next step to me!)  because it’s just so tasty and easy not to eat again! =)  P and I agreed it will be on our plates again very soon.  Maybe as Mediterranean sliders? Yum!
Reader Review!
Emily blogs over at  Write Twenty Eleven – Thanks girl!
The day I whipped these up, I was out of tomatoes and onion.
Obviously that means I need to go grocery shopping and make these again.
After all, they deserve it =)
Do you make your own veggie/legume patties at home?
What are some of your go-to ingredients?

Comments

I love this. I had falafel for the first time weeks ago and I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it. I’m going to have to make this way healthier version sometime soon!

No way, I didn’t realize that falafel was made from chick peas. Those are one of Ryan’s fave things, so I can totally make these for him! And they look carb (grain) free! Awesome.
    But really, you gotta stop taunting me with recipes to cook. I don’t have time for this business! :)

Thanks for posting my dinner for tomorrow night. :)

I’ve made a baked sweet potato falafel before (soooo good!), but never a “regular” version. Obviously, a big gap in my culinary experience. Can’t wait to try this out. They look scrumptious!

I love falafel, and it doesn’t make me ‘feel awful’ (yukyukyuk)! But I never deep fry food at home so I’ve never made it myself. But this, this will be made. It sounds like a snap!

p.s. your falalafel patties look like cookies :D

yummm!! my husband makes killer falafel ( but they’re always fried)…I’ve never tried baking them though. And for the tzatziki sauce we always put dried mint leaves as garnish…it tastes soo good!

I haven’t had falafel in far too long…but I love it! This recipe looks awesome, and I agree; tzatziki is the way to go :]
    I love making my own veggie/bean burgers at home! SO much better than their boxed counterparts, and you can make them exactly how you want them :]

Oh myyyyyy. I was recently introduced to falafel too, and I adore those perfect little fried chickpea patties. Can’t wait to try this healthier version!

mmm, these look great! i’ve never made my own falafel. and good for you for skipping the cheese – i don’t think i’ve EVER skipped cheese though..

Those look delicious! As I was reading the recipe, I thought to myself: she should try grating some onion or adding lemon to soften them up and low and behold, you had the same idea :)

J appreciates that you left off the feta–he hates goat cheese and most feta is made with goat cheese!

mmmm yummy! My hubby calls it “feel-awful” though, so the beginning of your post made me laugh.. he’s not the only one! I bake falafel, never fry it (well there was that one time.. but then the bushes caught on fire from throwing on-fire hot oil out the front door) and you’re right, it’s a bit dry, but that’s just reason for more sauce!

mmmmmmmmmm! I’ve been looking for a good BAKED version! I just book marked. Rocking. I do make my own bean burgers at home sometimes. Black bean burgers with corn and lots of kick are my fav!

this looks amazing especially in wrap form!!!
    the only falafel I have made was out of a box and it was absolutely horrible..serves me right for trying to be lazy!

I love falafel! I’ve never had it baked before though. I’ve also never made it at home :)

This post has inspired me to make some keema kabob though, mostly because I have the ingredients for that :)

Last night I went to a Mediterranean restaurant, and was drooling over my friend’s falafel. I don’t order it out because it usually contains wheat. Solution? Make P&C’s healthy version!

I love tzatziki sauce. So delicious!

Mm, I LOVE falafel (but work next door to an amazing mediterranean place and so rarely make my own). In general I make my own veggies burgers, though, and either a sweet potato or black bean base is pretty standard.

The falafel looks so yummy! Matt Loves falafel so I think I’ll try this. Oh! I responded to you on the same blog post on my page that you wrote on, didn’t know where else to write it!

Yay falafel! Seriously, that recipe looks amazing. I had no idea you could make them without frying!

Funny note, for the first two years we were dating, Brian called falafel “scrawny hummus burgers” and refused to try them. When he finally did, they turned into one of his favorite foods. Go figure. =)

These look SO good! I love you for always inspiring me to cook and try new things!! I will definitely be trying that sauce, too. YUM!!

I LOVE tzatziki, yours sounds great. I bookmarked Andrea’s recipe and have been wanting to try! when I get back from vacation this is going to the top of my list.

what’s new, chica? hope all is great with you!!

Falafel is a huge hit in my house and I’ve been dying to try it baked! Your recipe looks great, I can’t wait to give it a try!

Ooh, this recipe looks so good! I love falafel but whenever I try to make it, it doesn’t turn out right. My husband calls it “foul-awful.” :P

I did use substitutions! I had no artichokes, celery stuff, sage, red pepper, or parsley. Instead I used basil, roasted red pepper (did not saute), real celery (which I sauteed with the onions), and just left out the sage comepletely. They dont hold together well but the flavors really come together! I was so pleased!!

I’m so glad this post is back! I saw it last week, decided I had to make it, and then blogger ate the post or something. But hooray! I think we actually have everything for it in the house, even. Can’t wait to try it!

Okay, not kidding. I just ran into the kitchen and made the tzatziki (5 minutes), and then whipped up the falafel balls (another 5 minutes) so that they’re ready to pop into the oven at dinner time. You gave me a great reason to use my homegrown dill and parsley, which would otherwise get neglected. :-)

Now I just need to run out and grab some pitas and tomato before dinner… mmmmm. Can’t wait!

:-)

:-)

I love tzatziki sauce. So delicious!

Thanks for posting my dinner for tomorrow night. :)