Fiesta Quinoa

Fiesta Quinoa
ole!

What’s in it?
[adapted from this recipe]
1/2 cup of Quinoa, rinsed
1 heaping cup of Black Beans, drained and rinsed
10oz of corn or Mexi-Corn (corn with red + green peppers)
3/4 cup of Veggie Broth
1 clove of Garlic, minced
1/4 cup of Onion, diced
1/4 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Olive Oil
salt, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder to taste
serve with tortilla chips and your choice of extras

Extras + Mix-Ins
Guacamole
Fresh chopped tomatoes
Homemade salsa [or store bought!]
Tomatoes andor Salsa
Lemon or Lime wedges
Mushrooms +/or Zucchini
Cilantro
Pineapple

Brontosaurus Chefs Enjoy! It’s vegan =)
T-Rex Chefs Feel free to add cheese +/or chicken/shrimp

Get Cooking!
Rinse  1/2 cup of quinoa in a sieve/strainer, drain, and allow to dry on a few sheets of paper towels. Drying time will vary, I usually rinse, strain, and just walk away.  While you’re waiting, saute onion and garlic in 1 teaspoon of olive oil until transparent and set aside. Once your quinoa is dry, toss it into a pot and allow it to toast on medium heat for just a minute or so, while stirring.  You don’t quite want to brown it, just a light toasting.  Next add 3/4 cup of broth and bring to a boil.  Once the bubbles start flying, reduce to low, cover, and simmer for approximately 12 minutes.  You can season before simmering or after, totally up to you!  After 12 minutes have passed, remove lid, fluff with a fork, and season if you haven’t already.  If it’s still a little liquid-y let it simmer for another minute or so until it’s nice and fluffy.  Add sauteed onions and garlic, black beans and corn.  Stir gently to incorporate and serve hot with your favorite mix-ins and toppings! =)  I ate mine with chopped tomatoes, guacamole, and tortilla chips.  The only thing missing was a margarita! Ole!
click here for more tips on cooking quinoa <3

So, how was it?

I’ve totally already made this TWICE this week!  Move over beans and rice!  This one pot wonder is here to stay.  It was so light and refreshing and flavorful!  And the guacamole and chips made a perfect compliment! I wound up mushing it all together  (so attractive, right?) so I got a little bit of everything in each bite.  Delish!
Michelle from A Little Bit of This + That hooked me up with a review!
fiesta quinoa
ooh! and if you have leftovers… whip up some fiesta quinoa stuffed mushrooms!
fiesta quinoa stuffed mushrooms
What are you waiting for silly!? Get your quinoa on!

Comments

Damnit Kristina! I was almost first!

Love me some quinoa! Why have a carby grain when you can have a carby and protein filled-grain?! I use it in place of rice all.the.time! And I’m all about mushing/mixing after the blogger photo shoot! I’m definitely not one of those peeps who gets weirded out by their food touching! Famous words of Grandma Broccoli: It’s all going to the same place anyways! ;)

PS, rinse…sminse!

Congrats to the winners! I am loving that fiesta quinoa. Quinoa and black beans were made for each other. Throw in corn and it’s a Mexican party :D

I’m afraid of quinoa. Well, not eating it, because I LOVE it, but afraid of cooking it. I think I need a step by step tutorial or someone to sit with me as I do it because I am scared to death of messing it up! Your’s looks delicious though – so I really MUST learn to cook it! I’m in love with whole wheat couscous right now.

Ahhh, I have been stalking your blog all weekend to see if you had posted winners.
    Now you do and it wasn’t me. Boo :(

Butttt I guess I can let that slide since you posted a quinoa recipe, and it just so happens I’ve never cooked it, but I have some in my cabinet just waiting to be used! :)

I love quinoa! It’s been a staple in my diet for quite a while. I haven’t made it in at least a month which is just ridiculous since it’s in my pantry. I like it with black beans, salsa, avocado and cilantro.

I’m an official quinoa convert! When I first tasted it a year ago, I wasn’t such a fan. But it’s grown on me, and now it’s definitely my grain of choice! This recipe combines some of my very favorite foods: beans, corn, and guacamole, which means I have no choice other than to make it!

Have you tried quinoa cakes? They’re pretty delicious!

Always makes me smile that your comments say “fabulous comments.” I love quinoa for breakfast (weird I know). We also posted Quinoa cookies (for Passover) today and those are pretty good. Fiesta quinoa sounds fantastic.

Mmmm quinoa! I fell in love with it at Thanksgiving– my uncle is a doctor and couldn’t stop talking about its health benefits, and then he made the quinoa the main stuffing ingredient in a chile relleno. Perfect!

I love using quinoa this way. I usually make a big bowl of this and then use it as a meal throughout the week. My favorite is to throw it on top of a bed of green and top with salsa/hummus!!

i haven’t tried quinoa before but it looks like i should start!!! these meal does look so refreshing and light, perfect for summertime!!!! plus there is fresh quac, whats better than that?!

Love this mixture, I usually do this when I am having “taco” salads. I have never tried it as a “dip” before! I will have to break out the chips for the next batch :)

Thank you, thank you for posting this. We’ve been eating more and more quinoa and I never know what to do to doctor it up! Will try on Cinco De Mayo! And please tell me you are more than just 2 chips! ;-) I reallly need to take more notes from you! Love your blog and just noticed the DIY stuff, too! ;-) Duh!

I was just thinking today that I wanted to make a quinoa salad. I can’t wait to try this. maybe tomorrow!

I like my quinoa as a breakfast cereal cooked with frozen cranberries then nuts and coconut sprinkled on top. It keeps me going for hours.

Oh My!! I never win – I can’t believe I won!! I’m at thelivelykitchen(at)gmail(dot)com. You made my night!!!

PS – I make a quinoa dish similar to this a few times a month. I cook quinoa with water, salsa, black beans and tex-mex seasoning. Yum.

Your Fiesta Quinoa is just in time for Cinco de Mayo. It really looks delicious. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

oohhh, i have almost all of those ingredients! i predict this will make an appearance in my kitchen soon! now i just need to find some good avocados!

Have you tried quinoa cakes? They’re pretty delicious!

im still here so don’t forget about me! once school is over i’ll be back for good! =) miss you and your blog!! this looks delish by the way!

25. MeetMissJackson8088 says

as a first quinoa cooker, I followed your recipe and I want to say thank you! I added some stuff tho: I followed the how-to on the quinoa (i would have been lost w/out the recipe!) but I sauteed shrooms, green peppers, onions, garlic w/evoo and then added some peas too- i had it on hand and it worked out well! oh yeah, we added lemon pepper which was pretty good w/it

26. Reshmi98 says

Omg! Eating the quinoa right now and it’s absolutely amazing like foodgasmic amazing.. Thanks so much for posting the recipe. :)

This is a splendid (yes, I said splendid) meal all on its own, but add a few whisked whole eggs or egg whites and make it a casserole! Freakin’ awesome, thanks for all of the great recipes, Jenn!