Fiesta Quinoa Stuffed Mushrooms

I’m a creature of habit.  If I like a dish, I’ll make it over and over again (isn’t that some sort of food blogger no-no? Hah!) without thinking twice.  But leftovers? Hear me out on this: I can easily make the same meal twice in one week but when it comes to eating leftovers the next day?  So not appealing!  This never used to be the case at all, I used to make EXTRA of every dish just so I had leftovers.  But lately I see them sitting there all neat and packaged in their cute pyrex containers and I just go BLAH!  Freezing would be a fabulous option; however, a move and other shenanigans might be in my near future.  As a result, I decided to try something new.
Starting today, I’m going to practice taking leftovers from “Nay” to “Yay!!!!!!”
First up? An experiment gone oh-so-right!
Fiesta Quinoa Stuffed Mushrooms
fiesta quinoa stuffed mushrooms
Leftovers shmeftovers!
What’s in it?
Leftover Fiesta Quinoa [click for recipe
Whole Button Mushrooms
Grated Cheddar Cheese
Lime Wedges
This Barely Counts as Cooking
Rinse and  remove stem from mushrooms, stuff with leftover quinoa.  Spray or rub olive oil on a sheet of aluminum foil to prevent sticking.  Top stuffed mushroom with grated cheddar and bake at 350F in a toaster oven or conventional oven for 15 minutes or until warm and golden brown.  Serve with lime wedges
So, how was it?
So amazing that I may or may not have seconds in the toaster oven as we speak =) I totally do! I’m stuffed but couldn’t resist one more!  This makes a perfect lunch, dinner, or appetizer!  Hellooo easy party dish!  The spritz of lime on top makes it absolutely refreshing and the flavors of the black beans, quinoa and cumin make a perfect + flavorful stuffing for mushrooms.  Plus it’s gluten free! Fabulous <3
fiesta quinoa stuffed mushrooms vegan
Leftover makeover #1? Total success!
What is your favorite way to use up leftovers?
Is there one type of leftover you will ALWAYS eat no matter what?

Comments

I looooooove leftovers. I actually feel kind of ripped off when I cook and everything gets eaten the same night. All that work…and ONLY one meal? Ha!

We are leftover haters in my house :) I’d rather chuck them (or let them go bad in the fridge so I have to throw them out) than eat them. Don’t know why because I’ll eat the same thing 10 days in a row if I make it new!

O0o0 I love it! I’ve never eaten anything in a button mushroom. I think a part of me is kinda scared haha Idk why. Looks yummy though πŸ˜€

Warm mushrooms…melty cheese…mouth watering!! Ugh, now I’m starving! Guess it’s a good thing I’m about to whip up your Chana Masala for dinner, huh? 25 minutes…let’s see if I can go that long without gnawing my own arm off!

I don’t LOVE leftovers, but I love leftovers. What I do LOVE? Leftovers that enhance their flavors overnight like chili and enchiladas! I swear I’m going to start cooking them 12 hours ahead of time and THEN serving! πŸ˜‰

I seriously love how yout think! I’ve been meaning to do some research on new and exciting ways to use quinoa in recipes, but you did all the work for me!!! Thanks, Jenn!

6. Tatiana says

Those look so great! I have never had quinoa, but I’ve always wanted to try it. I’m a bit intimidated by it. You make it look so easy though, that I may try it. And you go girl for using your leftovers! That’s always hard to do

Leftover perfection! I love quinoa both hot and cold so making a big batch is always a win. I love leftover veggie chili in the winter.

8. Andrea B. says

These look awesome! Yet another reason why I must try your quinoa recipe.

I like comfort food leftovers; pastas, stews, homemade soups. If it isn’t something super scrumptious, then I don’t want it πŸ˜‰

9. pawsitivelife says

I cooked with Quinoa for the first time this weekend! Where has this thing been all life? Have to check out different recpies!

Mmm…these look AMAZING! I love mushrooms, so I’m definitely keeping this recipe handy. :)

The one kind of leftovers I will always eat is hummus (especially from my fave Turkish cafe down the street). I eat it all the time and it really doesn’t go bad in a short period of time.

11. Christine @ Merf In Progress says

Woo hoo!!!! Added to my recipe page! I *love* stuffed mushrooms. Oh by the way, these will not be leftovers to me, though. I’ll be making them this way from the start xoxo

12. Megan says

While I may not always *love* leftovers, the lazy woman in me goes with it. I love the idea of jazzing up leftovers into something new and exciting! This looks great!

13. MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College says

I have been looking for a perfect stuffed mushrooms recipe, lo and behold…here it is!!! I love the idea of Mexican flavors instead of the usual. Those look positively delicious.

14. Meredith! says

if i liked mushrooms, this would look delish! =) we are terrible at using left over in this apartment! i just dumped out far too many containers of scary looking leftovers out of the fridge today!

15. applesnoats says

haha i am th EXACT same way!when i find something i love it gets put on repeat for a good two months!!!those shrooms look so cute and tasty!

What a great use of the leftovers!
    I’m all about leftovers. I take them to work until they’re gone – waste not want not, right?! =)

17. WillJogForFood says

Love the leftover makeover!! I bet i would be great in peppers too :) Not a mushroom fan yet…but they are starting to grow on me, just a teeny weeny bit. hehe

18. Katie says

I LOVE leftover Veggies! I eat them cold! I just love them! I also love cold leftover pizza here and there! ha!

These look amazing!!!! Your amazing!

How are you doing love? Always thinking of you!

xoxo <3

The only thing I eat leftover is brown rice – I try to cook a batch for the week. I’m so not good – I never take food home from restaurants either (but there usually isn’t a lot left anway…)!

20. Errign says

I love leftover pasta & pizza…COLD!

I don’t like leftover seafood…blegh. And I don’t like mushrooms fresh, so I definitely wouldn’t like them as leftovers :)

YUM!!! This sounds totally amazing! I’ll take some of those right now! :o)
    I’m not a big fan of leftovers myself, but I’ll always eat any kind of leftover pasta.

22. Maryann says

I seriously am in love with mushrooms. Also ive been meaning to cook the quinoa in my pantry for so long now…this recipe looks amazing!!

Hello! yum! So easy and looks amazing. Love the name too. There’s something wonderful about stuffed veggies baked to goodness. Mmmmm πŸ˜‰

(tomorrow I’m finally participating in WIAW!!!)

I love stuffed mushrooms! So easy to make–and these look particularly good! My favorite way to use leftovers is too fill a bowl half way with salad, top with anything (and everything) left over in the fridge. Takes a high level of culinary skill.

that leftover dish looks amazing!! its hard trying to cook the perfect amount for two people! i bet the bf would love this! he is a mushroom lover and we all know how i feel about my mexican!

26. Elena says

What a great idea! Reinventing your leftovers… I like it. I may have to try that with my picky husband’s dislike for leftovers.

So good. Quinoa is such a versatile ingredient, I am in love with it these days.

An Indian dish called Pav bhaji is the only thing I can eat as leftover. I am very very picky about leftovers, cannot have the same thing twice.

I’ll email you my tried and tested Dal recipe soon, girl!

Yummy, love this recipe for quinoa, the hubs is Peruvian, and thats a staple like rice in their country, great for protein! I’m going to make these recipe this week :)

29. Krista says

I also am not a fan of leftovers. A lot of times, they’ll sit in the fridge so long that I end up throwing them out because they go bad :(

You’re so creative in the kichen! I’m so jealous. Those shrooms look amazeballs.

I don’t even like mushrooms, but this looks good!

I try to cook during the week, so we can have leftovers the next day for lunch. We save a lot of money this way. I’m not a huge fan of steak leftovers, unless I cut it up and put into an omelette or stir fry. I believe Chili makes the BEST leftovers, gets better each time! πŸ˜‰ Pizza is also yummy leftover!

Oh this looks wonderful, yum!Happy Friday,Happy Good Friday, Happy Earth Day, Happy Jelly Bean Day ( yes it’s actually jelly bean day)Hugs from Katherine. P.S have you entered my giveaway?

I’m ashamed to say this, but I have never had Quinoa…It’s on my TO DO LIST. Thanks for inspiring me. Happy Monday!

35. Elena says

36. Katie says

These look amazing!!!! Your amazing!

How are you doing love? Always thinking of you!

xoxo <3