General Tso’s Tofu + Veggie Fried Rice

general tso tofu veggie fried rice
So. Flipping. AWESOME!
General Tso’s Tofu + Veggie Fried Rice
What’s in it?
Veggie Fried Rice [loosely adapted from these two recipes]
Veggie free for all! Choose your favorites!
I used the following:
4oz peas
4-8oz sliced mushrooms
1 cup baby carrots, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup mung bean sprouts
2-4 cloves of garlic, minced
1-2 free range, organic eggs
4 cups brown or white rice
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds for topping
Freshly ground black pepper, cayenne pepper and salt (if desired)

Fabulous Fried Tofu
1 pkg extra firm tofu
1 whisked egg
1 shallow dish of corn starch for light dredging
General Tso’s sauce of your choice (I gravitate towards the all-natural ones!)
1-2 teaspoons of olive oil

Brontosaurus chefs for the tofu, use vegan egg replacer or a flax egg
T-rex chefs Pretty please use the tofu, but you have my permission to shrimp it up if desired!

Get Cooking!
Veggie Fried Rice
Cook rice as per usual (in a pot or rice cooker).  Heat a large skillet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.  Saute onion, carrots, and mushrooms for 5 minutes or until tender.  If using frozen peas, cook along with onions and carrots, if using cooked peas, add after 5 minutes of cooking.  Next add your garlic into the pan and cook for an additional 5 minutes.  Add egg and bean sprouts if desired.  Then, add rice to the mix and stir constantly.  Mix in your soy sauce and seasonings, tasting as you go. Pour into a bowl and set aside as you get ready to chow down!

Fab Fried Tofu
Press extra moisture out by placing a heavy pot or pan on a paper towel wrapped brick of extra firm tofu.  Next, dip in egg wash and lightly dredge in corn starch.  Heat a frying pan with 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil and lightly fry tofu on all sides.  Once golden, pour in a light layer of General Tso’s Sauce to coat.  Plate tofu with your delish fried rice and enjoy =)

So, How was it?
Amazing! Frying the tofu in egg and very little oil gave it this awesome french-toast-esque crust that had me running back to the store to buy more tofu.  Believe it or not — this was my first time cooking tofu by myself!  And I love that it came out just as fabulous as my favorite restaurant’s tofu!  The rice was super flavorful and had so many veggies in it that I felt super satisfied.  Color? CHECK! Variety? Check! Delish Flavorful Veggies? DOUBLE CHECK! This one’s going to wind up on the weekly menu again super soon.

This recipe makes 4 servings.  You know what that means…
Leftovers!!!

If you’re feeling feisty – try the General Tso’s Tofu with my Quinoa Fried Rice!

Comments

awesome tofu?! i’m going to have to come to your house and try it! not a big fan of tofu but i have to say it looks pretty yummy on top of that rice!

YUM!! I so need to try cooked tofu. Ive never had it because I am terrified lol, but everyone always says it is so amazing!

Oh crap- I posted possibly my only photographed recipe like two days ago. Well, I’ll still come by and read all of the links tomorrow haha :)
    This looks tasty, I better go make dinner!
    Meri

That looks like the aged dashi tofu my daughter and I get at a sushii restaurant – I love that the outside texture is a bit crunchy, but still so tender on the inside – and I have tofu in my fridge!

Guess what I will be making for my lunch tomorrow?!

I want to like tofu, but it gives me the creeps! When I eat Chinese food (which is rare, I only like it from one restaurant), I normally go for vegetables in a szechuan sauce. Mmmmm! Mike and I have tried to replicate it at home with no luck!

Ug. I wanted to make “fried” rice SO bad last night but guess who had no instant rice and ZERO time to wait for the uncooked kind. Needless to say my craving was not met!! At least tonight I can stop and pick up some rice!

Yum, this looks awesome! I hardly ever see Tofu recipes. I only know how to cook it one way so this will be a nice change :) Thanks so much for sharing. Can’t wait to try it!! Happy Tuesday.
    ~Mary

This really looks good. I’m anxious to give it a try. Come join me for What’s On the Menu Wednesday whenever you can:) Have a great week.

Oh, that looks amazing!!! I shouldn’t be clicking on the recipe links at 11:30 pm. :s Hungry now!

Thanks for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. Have fun finding a a few good reads, and I hope you’ll visit Serenity Now again soon. :)