Fun Techniques for Frosted Glass Spray Paint

Hey guys! I hope your ready for another fun painting project!

Pin It

Krylon was sweet enough to send me a sample to try so that I could get out of the kitchen and trade my tomato sauce covered jeans for paint splattered ones! Sahhhhweet! <3
Below is the color scheme I’m envisioning for my office/craft zone.  I want to add a few super bright accents like yellow, pink, or even lime green!

But, for now, lets paint the town something blue!

Frosted glass technique #1
This is the one you’ve seen all over the interwebs.  Adding stickers or vinyl decals to glass with a few lights coats of frosted glass spray paint and viola! Super cute designs!  The spray paint makes the craft 10x easier than glass etching cream and dries substantially faster – which is very important to me since I’m ridiculously impatient to touch things after I make them =)  For this project, I had a lone votive holder under my kitchen sink that came down with an awful case of the chicken pox…
I love a good 5 minute upcycled craft.
Recycling is awesome, but re-using + re-purposing? Glorious!
Let’s take this same technique, and add a few surprises along the way =)
Frosted glass technique #2
What You Need
Paintbrush
Blue Painter’s Tape
1 Recyled Drinking Glass, Jar, or Vase
Gloss Medium or Clear Protective Spray Paint
[available at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Home Depot, and True Value stores]
Printed Design or Stencil
Vinyl Decals [Optional]
X-Acto Knife
Acrylic Paint
Scissors
Ok! Let’s do this! <3  First, pick your glass.
Next, choose your paint color.
I used Laguna Blue acrylic paint and Krylon white frosted glass spray paint.
Choose and print your stencil.  I used a chevron template found here via tatertots and jello
Clean glass thoroughly with soap and water and allow to dry.
Paint the inside of the glass with 2-3 coats of acrylic paint, allowing to dry between coats.
[Leaving the outside of the glass unpainted will give a faux enamel look]
Cover entire glass with blue painter’s tape.
Cut out your stencil and use a marker to trace the design onto the painters tape.
This was our favorite solution for dealing with the complexity of stenciling
a round object with a repetitive pattern.  Paul and I are minor perfectionists…
This gave us the accuracy we craved! =)
After your design is marked on the painter’s tape,
use an X-acto knife to cut out the area’s you want to be fabulously frosted.
Next, peel the tape off to expose your design.
It was pitch black out by the time I finished this last step.  Outside, or in a well ventilated area with a mask, spray a thin coat of Frosted Glass Finish onto the exposed glass.  Apply 2-3 coats to reach desired opacity.
Once dry [approx 60 min later] peel off remaining tape and apply a thin coat of gloss varnish to the inside of your glass to seal off the acrylic paint and prevent scratching.  You can also use a spray sealant if you prefer.
I love it!
But then I stumbled upon these silver vinyl stickers from Stampendous
and now I love it just a tad bit more.
I hate to play favorites, but it came out pretty awesome!
You have got to try this project – It looks even better in person =)

Pin It

Are you looking at the glass of water in your hand any differently now?
No? Then what’s in your glass? =)

Comments

This is so cute! LOVE the aqua! And YES! I live in NC too! I live in Albemarle which is about 30 mins east of Charlotte. I am from the Fayetteville/Ft.Bragg area. I go there a lot since I have a ton of childhood friends there. Crazy huh?

Ohh, I love it! I am so doing this! It’ll be nice to look at a pretty glass holding my pens on my desk instead of the chunky old coffee mug I”m currently using! :-/

Those cups look awesome I really am feeling the teal color that you decided to go with! :) Have a wonderful day Jennifer! Keep up with the great creative crafts posts! it makes your blog unique! and I love getting ideas from you for what to surprise pete with using simple crafts from around my home

Beautiful! That is soo cool! Ugh you and Cat are so crafty, I’m jealous :). (Although, I did make a cool votive around Christmas– maybe sometime I’ll send you a pic or post it in my blog)

How cute, Jennifer! I can think of so many things that I come across on my bargain hunts that would look awesome with a white frosted glass pattern! Girl, you rocked this one! Thx for sharing :)

Also, I love that you’re hiding your watermark in your pictures now…or you label everything peas and crayons at your house. Either way, very cute.

Wowzers, this is fantastic! I’m in to glass bottle art, so I’m going to try this on a jar or vase as soon as I can get the supplies.

Thanks for the easy to understand tutorial.

I am not sure I could find time without sticky fingers to do this…but I love it :)

I am catching up on reading this week, your trail mix looks fabulous. I like to make my own trail mix as opposed to pre-packaged. It gives us all an opportunity to put in our favorte thing since eveyone in my house likes different nuts & fruits.

I am in awe of your creativity. These glasses turned out so professional-looking and gorgeous. I am just kind of dumbfounded right now…I can’t even color in the lines of a coloring book. Lol.

wow, i cannot believe that something so creative and so beautiful can be made at home, i go a glass like this for keeping pens from lifestyles, when i went for holidays, it just golden in color otherwise looks the same and was not a cheap thing too.. very smart work

SO Absolutely Gorgeous!!! I REALLY love the colors and the stickers!!! So beautiful that I am headed next to your follow button…don’t want to miss another trick!!

Gorgeous!! I love crafts that look….sleek, can we say? I’m not always a fan of the “crafty” look, but your project looks great!