Chocolate & Glitter

So what on earth did I do with  jars of peppermint chips and glitter?
See for yourself!

pink glitter and peppermint candy cane sprinkles
snowflake peppermint bark
This is one of my FAVORITE holidays traditions =)
I don’t know how other people do it, but when I make peppermint bark,
chocolate. goes. EVERYWHERE!  It’s a yummy hot mess.
Save the store bought chocolate chips for your pancakes and seek out high quality chocolate melts from a local chocolatier.  It makes a huge difference =)
snowflake cookie sheet
This cookie sheet is by far my favorite holiday purchase this year.  It made making bark easy and oh-so-pretty!  Simply sprinkle peppermint chips on the bottom, spoon in a big scoop of melted white chocolate, and bang on the counter a few times to distribute the chocolate.  Let harden and repeat with melted dark chocolate.  Once the chocolate is ready to gift, gently slam the pan upside down on your counter. PERFECT little snowflakes fall out and are ready to enjoy.  Yes I said slam.  It’s a fabulous way to get out any frustrations =)  You can also spare yourself the countertop abuse and buy a silicone snowflake mold!
My favorite way to melt chocolate?
In a 16oz glass!
Microwaving is not usually ideal for melting chocolate and usually results in overcooked or burnt chocolate.  A double broiler is the preferred way to melt chocolate for candy or desserts; however, I can’t justify purchasing a double broiler to use just once or twice a year.  What’s awesome, is that you can make your own at home!  Place high quality chocolate in a 16 oz glass and place in a sauce pot filled halfway with water.  Heat water on high and bring water close to the boiling point (but don’t let it boil, that could get messy! lol) Stir vigorously with a long spoon as the chocolate melts.  So flipping easy!
melting chocolate in the crockpot
You can also use your crockpot!  Add the chocolate to your glass and then fill the crockpot with water *or* just pour the chocolate discs directly into your slow cooker and turn the heat to low.  Pop in a movie, fix yourself dinner or go for a run, and in an hour or so you’ll have a melty crockpot full of candy.
And lastly, instead of using a cookie sheet or silicone mold, you can make your peppermint bark in cookie cutters for a fun gift for the holidays!  When they finish inhaling the chocolate they’ll have a pretty cookie cutter to use for their holiday baking or hang from the tree with pretty ribbon!
So where does the glitter come in?
diy pink glitter candles
Merry Christmas Eve!
xoXOxo

Comments

Okay, those are my far my favorite barks that I’ve seen on the blogosphere so far. I love the snowflakes shapes. And may I say how stinkin’ BRILLIANT you are with your beer glass double boiler!

I’d like to have seen the mess you made glittering up those candles!!

I was getting worried that you put the glitter in the bark! :) I love the snowflake shaped bark — great idea!

I hope you have a very Merry Christmas! :)

That is such a smart move with the “make it yourself” double boiler! I have learned the patience of melting it in the microwave (but will say you’re right- it’s not ideal). But my friend could have used this idea last week. She called me two or three times in frustration after ruining an absurd amount of chocolate… lol

Merry Christmas my dear!

Merry Christmas my dear!

Belated Merry Christmas Jenn!

Had to let you know I love your “about me” page. You are gorgeous and I can fully relate to someone who functions on lists as a survival method.

And yes, I DO listen to Matt & Kim! LOVE!

Merry Christmas my dear!